serious issues

gressle1

serious issues

Post by gressle1 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:23 pm

ok i'd like to get some input on this because this is the first time this has happened to me on any car. Me and my family were going out to eat last week we thought it would be nice to take the freestyle because we all love the car we were driving on the highway and all of a sudden the car lost power and it sounded like the car was running on like one cylinder so we pulled off the road and called the tow truck to take us back home i went to look at the car this afternoon and yes i said this afternoon only because my job doesnt let me look at things right away but anyways i took the manifold off to get to the back spark plugs to check and see if anything was wrong back there and get this its like the spark plug and everything on one cylinder just blew up it shot the plug out of the motor and shreaded the rest of what the plug was connected to it and even when i looked at the boot it look like it just exploded was slpit almost in two. i mean i take care of my care oil changes tire rotations etc. anyone know why this might happen or what would cause this?
001_1319.JPG
this is whats left of the spark plug boot and coil
001_1319.JPG (51.31 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
2005 Ford Freestyle SEL

mmsstar

Re: serious issues

Post by mmsstar » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:43 am

How many miles?

I guess if the plug was loose it could happen but I have been hanging out here for a while and have not heard of this happening so FWIW I don't think it is a common thing
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

jaunty75

Post by jaunty75 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:08 pm

gressle1 wrote:its like the spark plug and everything on one cylinder just blew up it shot the plug out of the motor and shreaded the rest of what the plug was connected to it and even when i looked at the boot it look like it just exploded was slpit almost in two. i mean i take care of my care oil changes tire rotations etc. anyone know why this might happen or what would cause this?[/attachment]
I think you answered your own question. It sounds a like a single spark plug blew out of its hole. A few more details would be helpful. What year is your car? How many miles? More to the point, has the car been worked on recently? If the spark plugs were recently changed, it's possible that one of them was not tightened as much as it should have been, worked loose, and blew out. Or it might have been damaged when it was inserted. Or it might just have worked loose over time if it wasn't installed properly initially, even if that was many miles ago.

Going forward, what's the condition of the cylinder? Can you just screw in a new spark plug, or were the threads damaged? If it's the latter, the threads can often be re-sleeved and new threads cut in so that a plug can be installed. If the threads are not damaged, then put in a new plug, get a new coil and boot, install them, make sure all the OTHER plugs are tight, and see if the car will fire up. If you're lucky, no damage was done.

If the car WAS recently worked on, and if there was damage to the cylinder that will cost you some significant money to get fixed, you might have recourse against the shop that did the work.

Most importantly, next time, don't take this car to the restaurant, and put some punctuation marks in your freakin' message!!! :mrgreen:

gressle1

Post by gressle1 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:44 pm

its a 2005 its got about 205,000 miles on it. The plugs were changed about a year ago before i got the car, i only know because i received the car from my parents as a gift. the cylinder still looks good its just the threads that are stripped. I got a new coil and boot already and a new plug just trying to figure out the best way to fix the stripped plug any ideas? Take it to the restaurant we never even made it there and hey i like my sentences to run on forever. :)
2005 Ford Freestyle SEL

jaunty75

Post by jaunty75 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:57 pm

gressle1 wrote:its a 2005 its got about 205,000 miles on it.
Holy freole, this is has to be the record. I've been on this board since '06, and I think you're the first to post with a car with more than 200,000 miles on it. Congrats on getting it that far. I think an engine with that many miles on it is entitled to spit out a spark plug now and then!
the cylinder still looks good its just the threads that are stripped. I got a new coil and boot already and a new plug just trying to figure out the best way to fix the stripped plug any ideas?
I'm not an expert here, but I don't think re-threading this is a do-it-yourself project, at least without the proper tools, and buying those tools might cost as much as it would cost to have a machine shop do the job for you.

Thread repair kits are available, but they cost hundreds of dollars. If you were planning on re-threading stripped spark plug holes on a regular basis, it might be worth investing in, but to do it just once is not worth it. You don't want to mess with this in some jury-rigged way, either, because you want a good tight fit for good compression, and you don't want the spark plug blowing out again.

http://www.amazon.com/Combination-Threa ... 83&sr=1-19

dmckmc

Post by dmckmc » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:43 pm

Local auto parts stores carry $30 kits on the shelf made just for this. After repair you need to check compression. Not only to check the repair but to check for cylinder or valve damage. That kind of 'blow out' could be nothing or could be a major mess. Good luck.

NKENN

Post by NKENN » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:53 pm

I like the Time Sert repair option. However, I don't know if they make a kit for your particular engine. Check them out at http://www.timesert.com.

Good Luck!

jmastro

Post by jmastro » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:56 pm

Wow! I’d think you would want to check out the engine. I don’t think a loose plug would end up with stripped threads. I would think the cause was some kind of mechanical interference, like the piston hitting the plug or a serious pre-detonation issue. Did you have a CEL before this occurred?

Wheelman

Post by Wheelman » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:59 pm

Repairs like this are done by using a heli-coil, which can be done at any motor shop. It is a relatively simple procedure, but should be done by someone who has some experience with heli-coil installations. The person can actually come to do this in your garage.

KAH

Post by KAH » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:31 am

Most importantly, next time, don't take this car to the restaurant, and put some punctuation marks in your freakin' message!!!

Jaunty: Please give the man some kind considerations. If this were
my vehicle I would be screaming, ranting and nowling with no punctuations
whatsoever.
If this heli coil repair is not practical, it looks like the head
may have to come off. The cost of a valve job and manifold repairs may
well approach the value of the vehicle.

Ken H.

jaunty75

Post by jaunty75 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:45 am

KAH wrote:Most importantly, next time, don't take this car to the restaurant, and put some punctuation marks in your freakin' message!!!

Jaunty: Please give the man some kind considerations. If this were
my vehicle I would be screaming, ranting and nowling with no punctuations
whatsoever.
KAH, it was a freakin' joke, OK? Get a sense of humor. I think the original poster took the comment in the spirit in which it was intended. Why don't you learn to as well?

gressle1

Post by gressle1 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:28 am

alright thanks everyone for the info i'll see what i can do from here more than likely i will take it to someone to do the work and if it's to expensive then i guess i'll have to look for a new vehicle. KAH i knew it was a joke and i did not take it serious, but yes there was some screaming, ranting and nowling with no punctuations as you can see from my first post.
2005 Ford Freestyle SEL

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:19 am

To repair the thread with a Helicoil, which looks like a spring, you need to drill the old threads out to make the hole a larger diameter. You then use what is called an STI tap to tap new larger threads in the hole. The Helicoil is then inserted into the new larger thread reducing the larger thread down to the original spark plug thread size.

I did it once to the head on my lawn tractor but did it with the head off.
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

jaunty75

Post by jaunty75 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:07 am

mmsstar wrote:you need to drill the old threads out to make the hole a larger diameter.
I have a question. When you do this, how do you prevent the metal shavings from falling down into the cylinder? I presume that would be a bad thing.

It's stuff like this, though, that would make me, as a shade tree mechanic, nervous. If I was working on my '62 Chevy Impala hobby vehicle, that's one thing, but with a modern vehicle that might very well be my family hauler, I'd be nervous about screwing it up and turning a $50 repair into a need for a new engine.

davidmkh

Post by davidmkh » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:14 am

To Jaunty:
"was a freakin' joke, OK? Get a sense of humor. I think the original poster took the comment in the spirit in which it was intended. Why don't you learn to as well?"

So you like to poke people in the eye, eh? Not very funny but very clownish.
Davidmkh Tiretown OH
Her Car: 2006 FS SEL AWD
His Car: 2008 CTS PDQ/FE3 6 Spd Stick