If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Watch out for gravel

andysinnh

Watch out for gravel

Post by andysinnh » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:12 pm

The wife called the other day on her way home from work to say the FS was squealing and having a smell like something was heating up. I went to the place she'd pulled over on the side of a highway, and looked under the hood, expecting maybe a screaming serp belt or something. She started the motor and everything was quiet. Looked under the car, around the car - nothing. So we decided that I'd drive the FS and she'd drive the Montego and follow me. Got in the FS and moved no more than 5 feet when I heard this loud, haunting scraping/screaching sound. I pulled over immediately and gave it another look-see. Still couldn't see anything, and looked at the brakes and everything looked good. Got back in the car and put it in reverse and felt a mild clunk, put it back in drive and it sounded quieter. So I started to drive and after about a hundred feet it started again, but quieter. I drove slowly about 1/10 of a mile to a shopping center and pulled in the parking lot to get a better look, and in a safer place than the side of the road.

Once in the lot, I started rocking the car forward and back, and could hear a scrape from the LF brake area. But the caliper/pad looked OK. So I started messing with the metal splash guard protecting the inside of the rotor, and at one point when pulling at it, I heard something drop and go clunk - and there fell a piece of gravel to the ground. Drove the car around the lot after that and it was quiet as a mouse - and was fine after that. The rock was caught between the rotor and the metal splash guard, and caught in one of the formed grooves/slots on the splash guard - and it was just sitting there making very loud harmonic sounds as the rotor turned. when I backed the car up, it dislodged it just enough to loosen it so it ultimately fell out. Everything is fine there now.

I've been driving for almost 40 years with close to 18 different vehicles, and NEVER had a rock get caught in a way like this. And it's not the first time with this vehicle design. One day when backing the Montego out of a small gravel parking area we have, a rock got slung up and was caught between the hub area and the place where the ABS sensor is on the wheel. Very odd. So not sure if it's just a quirk, or Fords don't like rocks.

I didn't blame my wife for pulling over because the sound was very loud - an we were glad it wasn't something worse!

andy
A "Ford" and 3 "Honda" Family in NH

04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 5k miles
12 Honda Civic LX Coupe 5k miles (son's)
13 Acura MDX SH-AWD 1k miles

Previous - 07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 68k miles (traded)

jmastro

Re: Watch out for gravel

Post by jmastro » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:21 pm

That's funny, the samething happened to me last year, except I had a wallnut. I figured a squirl put it there.

tmad

Post by tmad » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:49 pm

Had the same problem last year. Sounded like the old "el" train in the Chicago loop. Mine was intermitent over a couple of weeks and was diagnosed by Ford mechanics as a hung-up caliper. Fixed under warranty, no problem since.
Grn/tan 2007 Freestyle SEL FWD

Wheelman

Post by Wheelman » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:26 pm

I had this happen to me when the Freestyle had only a few thousand kilometers on it. The sound was horrific but only lasted a few seconds and never happened again (yet). As to being a Ford problem, no because it also happened to me in a '77 Chev Caprice Wagon many years ago and only that one time.

Webmaster
Site Admin

Post by Webmaster » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:56 pm

Rocks stuck in the brakes somewhere? Yeah, http://www.fordtaurus.net/forums/viewto ... 41&t=13965

MrDinMN

Post by MrDinMN » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:17 pm

This happened to me just once in my 45 years of driving. I forgot about it until reading this thread caused memories of worry, frustration and relief to come back. Curiously my experience happened with a Ford-made Nissan Quest minivan...

06SELAWD

Post by 06SELAWD » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:02 pm

I've had this happen several times, but I drive a lot of gravel
Mike
'06 Freestyle SEL AWD
Silver Birch / Gunn metal cladding
'14 Chrysler 300; awd; 3.6L v-6
'17 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn crew cab
5.7L Hemi V-8 Oh Yeah!!
White
1970 VW Beetle
1500cc of pure power
Kubota bx2350

WGRoper

Post by WGRoper » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:35 am

It happened about six months ago to my mother-in-law's Nissan Altima. I managed to dig it out with my knife. If I remember correctly, it was stuck between the rotor and the caliper, just outside the brake pad.
05 Freestyle SEL Norsea Blue/Gray

PTownBronco

Post by PTownBronco » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:22 pm

We live off of a dirt road that they cover every so often with rocks. We've had the same thing happen to us, but the rocks have fallen out when I back up. Haven't had to pick any out by hand yet.