Is it necessary to change the filter with CVT fluid change?

jlongwel

Re: Is it necessary to change the filter with CVT fluid chan

Post by jlongwel » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:45 pm

Bengoshi, def post a follow up, I am tempted to do mine VERY soon!

rarelyrepair

Post by rarelyrepair » Fri May 30, 2014 8:49 pm

The dealer would not change my CVT oil or HP filter so left me little choice but to do myself and could not have done without all the photos and instructions. The reason they would not change the oil was the drain plug was messed up ...ah the torx vs hex discussion. I used 5 min epoxy on a treaded bolt that fit the hole and that is how I remove the plug. Before I drained there was no fluid showing on the dip stick and only got out a little over 4 qts so don't expect a dash light to come on when the oil is low. So on to the HP filter.
The dealer said they would have to remove the axle to get to the HP filter so I attempted myself. Things went just like all the write ups until replacing the HP filter tube. What I took out was metal with two O-rings but the kit had a single rubberized piece. I tried like heck to push in but no luck. Not sure if is this good practice but I ended up using super fine wet dry sand paper just on the lip of both the cover and the transmission holes and then I could get it squeezed in. I used a cap fill with fluid from the CVT bottle to soak the filter tube also.
The end result is the car shifts much better.
Just wanted to thank everyone that contributes to the forum because I barely know what end of a wrench to hold I was able to perform something the dealer did not want to do.

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:27 am

WGRoper wrote:I revisited Ford's fluid level check and setting procedure and I've got to say it's a little bit confusing. Anyway, I added a little fluid to bring it up above the top hole on the stick.

I've uploaded a PDF (finally) that I made of the fluid/filter change procedure here as well as a PDF of Ford's check and setting procedure here - http://www.4shared.com/folder/9o5EDWPf/ ... style.html

Enjoy.

Greg
just ordered this Dipstick on Ebay for a friend's Merc.

how i wish the Freestyle's dipstick is just like it.....you could easily Set and know the Fluid Level (Cold or Hot) with the Temperature marks on the other side of the Dipstick without an elaborate/complicated literature.

Last edited by Africa_FS_07 on Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

uclaglory

Post by uclaglory » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:26 am

Hi !

I have tried to access these photos you created the hyperlink. It looks like it was removed and would appreciate if you can update the link I want to see the pictures.

Thanks

Marc
Jack Watts wrote:
CDJackson wrote:
I would definitely be inclined to drain and refill the fluid myself, but changing the filter is another issue, since you have to remove one of the transmission mounts. Some of the previous posts refer to a DIY guide that someone posted with pictures, but I haven't been able to find it--anyone have the link to that?
The DIY guide was on another forum that got hacked. I'll go through it here, and I'll link to the photos from the guy who originally posted it. It's pretty simple.

-specialty tools needed: 25T torx and 40T torx bits, long transmission funnel. The rest are regular metric fasteners

gramps50

Post by gramps50 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:15 pm

I know this is a very old thread but I would like to thank all that participated for all the great info here.

I was doing a search on CVT fluid change before I asked my question. I redcently purchased a FS with 118,000 miles on it. Looking at the service manual I saw where the transfer should be serviced every 60,000 miles. Was under the impression that changing the fluids and filter was better left to a dealer. The after reading this thread ad hearing the horror stories of dealing with a dealer and them wanting to flush it which I understand is a no no. With the info here and the step by step I will be collecting all the parts needed and will be doing this myself.

Thanks again for all the great info.
Gramps
The Twins
Goldie - 06 Freestyle SEL FWD
Silver Fox - 06 Freestyle SEL AWD

WGRoper

Post by WGRoper » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:54 am

I haven't posted here in a quite some time, but wanted to say that my '05 Freebie is still running strong and had it's second CVT fluid and filter change a couple of months ago at 120K. It's never given me any tranny problems, I got a good one I reckon (knocking on wood).

I'm actually thinking about selling her and my F150 and consolidating to a midsize or large SUV. Our daughter will be driving soon and I'm running out of room for vehicles.
05 Freestyle SEL Norsea Blue/Gray

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:00 pm

I was in the process of removing the HP filter housing and my T27 bit broke off in the head of the bolt.

I just put everything back together and refilled the transmission with 5 1/2 qts of fluid.

Problem solved. :lol:

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:37 pm

knowitall wrote:I was in the process of removing the HP filter housing and my T27 bit broke off in the head of the bolt.

I just put everything back together and refilled the transmission with 5 1/2 qts of fluid.

good job, mr knowitall, having done this several times in the past you still sc**wed it up :shock: . Well at least you saved the day with an incomplete job, bravo.
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:12 pm

Africa_FS_07 wrote:
knowitall wrote:I was in the process of removing the HP filter housing and my T27 bit broke off in the head of the bolt.

good job, mr knowitall, having done this several times in the past you still sc**wed it up :shock: . Well at least you saved the day with an incomplete job, bravo.
I thought you would be proud of me. :lol:

After your fiasco of turning the brake piston a 100 times I figured misery loves company. :lol:

Jaunty75

Bobw

Post by Bobw » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:24 pm

I have a Ford rebuilt CVT with 60,000 miles on it. I have changed the pan filter and replaced the fluid with no problem but the high pressure filter has me stumped. I've bent three T27 sockets including 2 impact ones. It won't budge with my 3/8 drive impact wrench and using a long handle wrench just bends the socket. Does anything think they Locktited this and don't intend to have it serviced?

fredd123

Post by fredd123 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:57 pm

Hi guys

I am going to change my oil transmission after 143k miles. I don't remember if we had any oil change in the transmission but my plan is the following: replace the fitler and change only 1 qt. each month.
Does this approach make sense for you?
I am able to read any suggestion.

pkthomas

Post by pkthomas » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:45 am

Ford has specific procedures for the replacement. I would find those and follow them for the CVT.
2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD
2010 Mazda 5 Sport manual transmission
2000 Ford Excursion 4WD 7.3 PSD

cherokeexj

Re: Is it necessary to change the filter with CVT fluid change?

Post by cherokeexj » Wed May 18, 2016 8:03 am

Can anyone please advise if this filter also exists in a 2008 Taurus X AWD? I am not having much luck finding more info.

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Wed May 18, 2016 10:08 am

Taurus X does not have the CVT, it has the 6 speed automatic trans
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

Woganm

Post by Woganm » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:11 pm

Did that fix it