Is it necessary to change the filter with CVT fluid change?

andyf80

Re: Is it necessary to change the filter with CVT fluid chan

Post by andyf80 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:33 pm

Hi gang -
Quick question about the cvt fluid change...

I've recently done the filter fluid job and am fairly certain I've overfilled it.

2 things:
I notice a small spot on the driveway after this job (silver dollar sized over night) and have taken the trans mount off AGAIN but for the life of me can't find any type of leak. It could be some spillage while filling the cvt...I did have a 2-3 sec oops.

Does the cvt have a blow out valve if overfilled...?
And
What's the best route to remove the overage? Unscrew slightly and let it trickle out? Or suck it out the top side?

Thanks a ton.
2005 Freestyle 50k
2006 Honda Shadow

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:26 pm

hmm....what makes you feel that you overfilled it? That's not good! It's pretty sensitive to fluid level.

There's a vent tube connected to the throttle body. It's black rubber, about 1/4" in diameter and it's hooked down, kinda shaped like a coat hanger. You can't miss it. If you're blowing fluid out of that thing though, I'd have to think you really have problems! It's primarily there for venting vapors. Still, you could check that area for fluid.

When I replaced my HP filter the first time, I spilled some fluid when removing the housing, and some caught caught in the subframe. It actually "leaked" for about 2 days. The second time I did a better job of covering up everything before removing the oil tubes and filter housing. I think some others have done the same thing and convinced themselves it was leaking when it actually wasn't.

If you don't have a way to accurately measure transmission temps, I'd suggest getting it up to full operating temps, say 25-30 minutes of driving, and check the fluid level hot (in neutral, engine running). It should be between the top hole and 12 mm about the top hole (or within the cross hatches if so equipped). If you do need to remove some fluid, the best way is really going to be to just open up the drain plug. It drains slower than you'd think. Just open it for a few seconds. You could pull some out through the fill hole with a fluid extractor, but I'd worry about introducing contaminants. Seems safer just to drain some out.

andyf80

Post by andyf80 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:45 pm

Thanks for the reply Jackwatts-
Yup I'm not thrilled that I overfilled it. I've only driven it about 5 miles since then and don't plan to until I get it just right.

I believe you're probably right about spilling some in the subframe and it was probably some from the filter change vs my oops moment from up top.

I'll give the fluid drain a shot.

Thanks again.
2005 Freestyle 50k
2006 Honda Shadow

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:35 pm

thanks to ALL for the priceless info on this forum for the CVT.

i did my H.P. Filter/Fittings and CVT Fluid change today with help from my mechanic.

we got out approximately 6 Quarts of the Old Fluid (measurement done after it had cooled), and replaced it with the same amount (cold).

i saw the following:

1....the old fluids' color was way closer to BLACK than golden.....it was well past its "use-by" date!

2....the OLD H.P. Filter was BLACK, i'm not sure if it had been changed in the past.

3....it was TOUGH getting the filter out of the Trans, at a point i was scared we might tear it and leave part of it inside the Trans because we pulled it several times with force, and it just wouldn't budge (just exactly as andyf80 seem to imply in the write)......eventually it came out (prayers!).

4....there were some SCANT metal shavings (silvery metal stuff) inside the filter paper elements/pages......very scant, infact i had to open the paper elements to see them. the mechanic didn't notice these, i pointed it out because i had read about it already from some members.

after we had filled the CVT with new fluid and driven the car around for some minutes, we then checked the Dipstick to see its level......i could not even see the fluid on the Stick because the fluid was so clean/plain, but the mech had better eyes and assured that the Fluid level was just a tiny bit above the Cross Hatch (slight overfill) - this makes me believe that the OLD Fluid must have been slightly overfilled before i got the car because we put back just exactly what we got out.

here's a picture i took showing the old Filter and Fluid:

SUGGESTION/ADDITION: great write up by ALL the experts (especially andyf80 and Jack Watts) who had done this ahead, but i'd like to make a wee but necessary suggestion:

there's a need to add to the write up that the "Oil Tubes need to be gently PUSHED UP out of the Filter Housing" - it wasn't mentioned in the writeup - i say this because they seem to require some force to come out of the Housing.......and these things were pretty flimsy Aluminum looking Tubes.

in order not to risk breaking them, we unbolted a small bolt holding them inside the engine compartment (this was done for our convenience, not necessary for gently hands)

i will check the Dipstick again tomorrow.

thanks.
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

GreenLightGo

Post by GreenLightGo » Mon May 28, 2012 8:26 am

Team of collective knowledge, want to run a scenario by you for input.

Bought my 05 FS SEL used in Nov '10 with about 87k mileage. I have 105,411 as of this morning. I will be moving from Miami to Colorado in about three weeks and have some services planned, mainly the 100k and 105k items to catch up on. The car has been a great vehicle for my family and minus an a/c condenser pulley which decided to come off one day, it's been very reliable.

Talking to my Ford service manager last week, he was not what I would consider up to speed on the CVT high pressure filter service. Enough so, that having read this and what he had to say, I feel more comfortable doing this myself, or at the military autocraft shop with some assistance (and power tools, lift, etc.). I don't have an autocraft shop here I can use and can't do this in my driveway based on HOA rules.

My CVT has been flawless so far. I do not know if the 60k service was done, so, based on my proximity to 120k, and the amount of $$ I will spend on other services to bring my maintenance online (plugs, coolant, PCV, accessory belts), plus repair a strut spring seat which has started to rattle, I think I will just leave the HP filter until 120k and do a fluid drain/refill. I have to barter some shop time with a buddy to do oil changes (i use amsoil and prefer to do these myself) on both cars anyway so while I have it up on a lift, this seems a logical compromise.

Thoughts?

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Mon May 28, 2012 11:53 am

My thoughts are that would be fine. I'd do a drain and fill now, then another drain/fill along with the filter when you get out there. You could probably do this in your driveway when no one's looking :twisted: You don't need to raise the car to do this, though if were parked on a slight slope (with the front end higher), you'll get out a little more fluid. A simple drain and fill would be easier than an oil change.

As far as the HP filter, if you have an impact to remove the transmission mount, it goes really quickly. The second time I did this it look less than an hour, start-to-finish.

GreenLightGo

Post by GreenLightGo » Mon May 28, 2012 1:25 pm

Jack Watts wrote:My thoughts are that would be fine. I'd do a drain and fill now, then another drain/fill along with the filter when you get out there. You could probably do this in your driveway when no one's looking :twisted: You don't need to raise the car to do this, though if were parked on a slight slope (with the front end higher), you'll get out a little more fluid. A simple drain and fill would be easier than an oil change.

As far as the HP filter, if you have an impact to remove the transmission mount, it goes really quickly. The second time I did this it look less than an hour, start-to-finish.
Thanks Jack, one less thing I need to do before my move (and it's 90 degrees every day now, I'd have to measure two fluids, sweat loss and CVT fluid :shock: ). I will have access to pneumatic tools and maintenance bays at my new location.

Not sure how you guys can crawl under the FS without putting it on ramps, I can't get my chest under the frame rails? I barely fit under my Subaru (my car) and it has pretty good ground clearance! Too much time at the gym I guess :mrgreen: .

Thanks for the sanity check on this Memorial Day. Best to all.

jacketsfanatic

Post by jacketsfanatic » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:00 pm

So while attempting my first fluid and filter change I managed to strip out the bottom right High Pressure Transmission Filter Housing bolt. I stopped at the point and just did the fluid swap since I obviously couldn't get the housing all the way off the change out the filter. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get that bolt off or should I just take it to the dealer and have them mess with it and change the filter while in there?

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:49 pm

I'd use one of these: http://www.mcmaster.com/#screw-extractors/=jbpnqj

I'm not sure what size you'd need, but the smaller set should cover it. Otherwise, if you have a dremel you can cut a slot in the head of the bolt and use a big slotted screw driver.

Jaimster

Post by Jaimster » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:22 am

What tool is needed to remove the drain plug on the transmission? I don't want to strip the plug as a result of using the wrong tool. I have a 2006 model. Thanks!
2006 Limited, AWD, 109K miles
All options exept nav

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:57 am

You'll have to crawl under there and look. It's either a 6mm allen head or T40 Torx. I think by 2006 they were all the steel allen/hex head vs. the aluminum T40. If you have the T40 drain plug, I'd recommend changing it as they tend to strip out pretty easily.

fang

Post by fang » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:45 am

I did my transmission over the last two weekends. I did a drain and fill one weekend and another drain and fill with the high pressure filter change the next. I figure I have at least 85% new CVT fluid in there.

I could not have done it without the write up, comments and pictures. Thank you all so much.

After stripping out the head in my torx screw when replacing my rotors, I was frightened to try this on the high filter case. Those came out quite easily, though. In fact, getting the plastic liner out might have been the worst part of the ordeal. I destroyed about half my fasteners. My filter was not in a metal casing, but rather just like the one I replaced it with. I have a 2007 - purchased it used with 41k miles on it. The guy before me had all the paper work, and he had nothing about an earlier change.

The filter was black. The fluid was very dark. I overfilled by a few mm and had to drain some out. The fluid that I let out for the over fill looked so much better than my first two full drains.

freestyle27215

Post by freestyle27215 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:35 pm

My local transmission shop, Dixon's, in Burlington, NC, an independent greatly trusted place had my Freestyle in. First I talked to them before buying the car and they said no need for a filter change (at 114k) . I then brought them 12 quarts of Amalie Synthetic CVT fluid (657699728861 upc) that I bought online for about $76 and paid $80 for labor for two iterations of fluid drain and fill, using 11 quarts. Next time maybe in two years I will do it myself, and also myself if my daughter buys another Freestyle. High confidence, little track record so far.

A local real auto parts store recommended Amsoil Synthetic ATF - wrong for CVT!!

AJB07AWD

Post by AJB07AWD » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:05 pm

Hi Everyone!

I am new to this forum. I just purchased an 07' Freestyle Limited AWD with 110k. It is in good mechanical shape and had all the scheduled maintenance done by the dealer so far. I decided to change the HP filter and fluid myself and a little early. I wanted to share my experience following the directions here and on all data. Thank you to everyone who has contributed.

1. I over torqued the bottom left T27 bolt for the filter cover and snapped the head off. I should have more carefully heeded the warnings that were given about inch pounds of torque and "not too tight." The local hardware store had a hex head bolt that was exactly the same length, width and thread size (FYI, 6.00 mm x 1.00 is the bolt size). Did anyone put locktite on these three filter cover bolts?

2. I overfilled the CVT at first. I kept my drain pan underneath the transmission during filter removal which was a great idea. However, I got out 180 oz of fluid including the filter housing THEN I added 8oz more per instructions (188 oz total or 5qt 28 oz). I am thinking most people were not counting the fluid in their housing toward what they took out? It wasn't a problem but it did take me longer to set the correct level of fluid.

3. Some fluid got into the subframe when draining which is okay but I made sure to take note of that and not see it as fluid leaking form a bad seal. Before I put the mount back on I cleaned everything up really well so that if there is any leaking I will surely see it.

I hope what I've contributed will reinforce what others have said and lead to fewer mistakes when doing this job. Thanks again to everyone!

bengoshi2000

Post by bengoshi2000 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:05 pm

I'm gearing up to do the CVT HP filter and fluid change this weekend. Amazon seems to have the proper fluid (XT-7-QCFT) http://amzn.to/2iQ5YRA and filter (FT178) http://amzn.to/2jEWxbK . I'll post back and let y'all know how it went.

EDIT: Going to have to put this off for two weeks. Amazon only had 6qts (I'd prefer to have 7 on hand). Thinking about spark plugs too...
Last edited by bengoshi2000 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.