Is it necessary to change the filter with CVT fluid change?

knowitall

Re: Is it necessary to change the filter with CVT fluid chan

Post by knowitall » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:29 pm

I think Africa_FS post quota should be 3/day and then $5/ post thereafter. :lol:

tmad

Post by tmad » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:28 pm

Went back to my dealer last week for CVT service. They did the drain and fill but said that the pressure filter change was not necessary as it would require dropping the trans. Price: $143.00. So far, noticed the cruising RPMs (at 60 mph) seem to be running slightly lower (1500, from 1600). Otherwise, no change.
Grn/tan 2007 Freestyle SEL FWD

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:02 am

welcome back, Officer knowitall :mrgreen: ..........yikes :shock: , ok, understood! :lol:
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:35 am

tmad wrote:Went back to my dealer last week for CVT service. They did the drain and fill but said that the pressure filter change was not necessary as it would require dropping the trans.
strange procedure, but no one on here dropped their trans to change the h..p. filter, totally not necessary.
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

Leenshirley

Post by Leenshirley » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:35 am

I was quoted by my dealer that they use a pressure cleaning and flushing method and then add the new oil. No replacement of filter is required because it is cleaned with this method. ???

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:24 am

go through ALL the forums, you'll find out that the outcome for all who flushed was destruction of the trans within a short time - less than a week....do not flush!

simple drain and fill is what you need to do....plus the High Pressure Filter change.

the procedure is WELL detailed in this thread....there's even a PDF Doc on Page 3 or 4 with the same procedure listed on this thread.

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:44 am

Leenshirley wrote:I was quoted by my dealer that they use a pressure cleaning and flushing method and then add the new oil. No replacement of filter is required because it is cleaned with this method. ???
My guess (hope?) it that nonsense is from the service writer. Hopefully, the people actually doing the work will know better. You can't flush this transmission. It explains why right in the factory service manual, but guaranteed if they do that you'll end up with a destroyed transmission. I'd ask to speak to the service manager--generally, they have more of a clue as to what's going on. And obviously, no amount of "pressure cleaning" is going to clean a full-flow filter--that's the whole point of it! So at a certain point, it has to be replaced. Most transmissions aren't equipped with this sort of filter, so I'm guessing you're getting generic advice based on a regular transmission.

Wardt

Post by Wardt » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:53 pm

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I was able to change the fluid, HP filter and pan filter myself at 120,000 miles on my 2005 AWD SEL because of what I found here. I had had a fluid only change done on my CVT at 60,000 miles by a dealer. Who overfilled the CVT. I found a nice pool of bluish green fluid in my driveway afterwards. I did take it back to have them check it at the time. I promised myself I would do it next time. The biggest problem I had was the drain plug. I tried everything to get it out, even an easyout. It just rounded out as if it were made of cheese. I decided the easiest and quickest solution was to drop the transmission pan and buy a new pan from Tascaparts. Which I did. Given the high cost of labor in the Washington D.C. area where I live that was also a cheaper solution. I can give these pieces of advice from my experience. if you drop the pan you will need at least 7 quarts of CVT fluid probably a little more. When you replace the pan follow the torque pattern in the shop manual and use a torque wrench and you shouldn't get leaks. If you buy a new transmission pan it comes with a steel plug. So you don't need to buy another one. It can be a little tricky to see the CVT fluid level on the dipstick when it is brand new. So I can understand how the dealer overfilled it but I strongly suspect a technician at the dealer used a power tool on my drain plug when reinstalling it.

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:35 am

Wardt wrote:..........I was able to change the fluid, HP filter and pan filter myself at 120,000 miles on my 2005 AWD SEL because of what I found here.............I had had a fluid only change done on my CVT at 60,000 miles by a dealer......
welcome.

how did the old H.P. Filter look at 120k miles ?

was it so gunked up?

is it possible to post a pic of it on here?

thanks.

Wardt

Post by Wardt » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:08 pm

The H.P. filter was dirty but not as completely gunked up as I've seen on a picture on this site. I suppose it is possible the dealer changed it at 60,000 miles but if they did they didn't charge me for it. I'm sorry I don't have a picture of the filter as I tossed it. The pan filter didn't look all that bad but if I was going to the trouble to drop the transmission pan I decided I would change it in any case.

andyf80

Post by andyf80 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:58 pm

hey guys!
Long time no talk. I wanted to say that i'll be doing my 60k mile CVT high-pressure filter/fluid change this week.

Does anyone need any pictures that we may have missed?

I'm happy to take them while i've got it apart.
2005 Freestyle 50k
2006 Honda Shadow

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:14 pm

HEY ANDYF80 !!!

i'm SO HAPPY you're back :lol: ......you were missed SO MUCH on here :cry: .

i was worried about you/your absence, i asked about you on a particular thread.

your great FAQ page has a lot of topics ready for it to update now....it has had over 1,700 views in just a few months after you created it, makes it very important!

welcome back, don't ever go away again on us for so long without saying !!! :mrgreen:

now, there's a lot of work to do on the FAQ 8)

WELCOME BACK!!!

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:41 am

You never missed me that much. :lol:

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:22 am

hey knowitall,

i'm sorry man, you've always been around here for ages :lol:, and still is.

andy's been here not long, and floated a GREAT page and a number of other stuff that changed A LOT on here. he's been away for i think 4-5 months (???), it was just too automatic for him to be missed on here.

he's my " 'JOINT SECOND' MOST LOVED MEMBER" on here :lol:

upnorthFord

Post by upnorthFord » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:57 am

Just wanted to chime in my recent CVT service. I shopped this around awhile until I received the answers I was looking for and went with a good-sized dealer. I spoke exclusively with the service manager and was one step from pissing him off with my constant reminders and ques about fill vs. flush, no ATF, etc... 8 quarts of CVT fluid, filter 290056 (which I assume is the high-pressure one), and $263 later I was out the door. This was completed on 3/2 and she has ran perfect, always has and hopefully always will. Mileage is 67,262.

Regards,
Jody
2007 Freestyle SEL
1995 Explorer XLT 4WD