Is it necessary to change the filter with CVT fluid change?

WGRoper

Re: Is it necessary to change the filter with CVT fluid chan

Post by WGRoper » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:25 am

I did the CVT service on my Freebie yesterday, took about two hours. I took Andy's post with all the pics and made a single PDF that was suitable for printing, I'll post it here when I get home tonight.

I bought a bucket with quart graduations inside so I knew how much fluid to replace. I drained exactly 5 quarts (per the bucket, don't know it's accuracy) including the oil from the filter change. Once I refilled the tranny and buttoned everything up, I took the car on a 10 mile test drive, verified the tranny temp using engineering mode and checked the level. It was a hair below the top hole on the dipstick which, as we say down in Georgia, is good enough.

Oh, and my drain plug is the 6mm variety, not T40. The car was manufactured in October of 2004.

-g
05 Freestyle SEL Norsea Blue/Gray

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:31 am

WGRoper wrote:Oh, and my drain plug is the 6mm variety, not T40. The car was manufactured in October of 2004.
-g
HERESY! :lol:

Good job with the fluid change. I'm looking forward to seeing the PDF.

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:03 am

WGRoper wrote:Once I refilled the tranny and buttoned everything up, I took the car on a 10 mile test drive, verified the tranny temp using engineering mode and checked the level. It was a hair below the top hole on the dipstick which, as we say down in Georgia, is good enough........

well i'm sorry to point this out, but referencing the experts on here, THE RIGHT LEVEL AT THE RIGHT OPERATING TEMP should take the oil above the top notch but not more than 12mm above it........i would say you're a tiny bit low on the oil right now, and that is very risky.....

take a look again at the write-ups.....
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

dicmoose

Post by dicmoose » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:22 pm

Did you ever get a answer on the cvt questions? I have the same car at 100000 miles and thinking of keeping it for the long run.
dick m

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:26 am

dicmoose wrote:Did you ever get a answer on the cvt questions? I have the same car at 100000 miles and thinking of keeping it for the long run.
dick m
hi and welcome to the forum.

permit me to ask if your question is for me?

if that's the case, Yes i got a number of answers....take a look: CVT Care advice

i really liked andyf80's line there: "....things with moving parts break sometimes - even with proper care....Proper maintenance at times only mitigates some of this risk......"...........i believe this applies to ALL types of vehicles.

i think there's no reason for not keeping your car for long IF its not giving you problems, considering the following:

1....At least 5 (yes, now FIVE) members have logged over 200,000 trouble free miles - all were 2005s, the base year that some feared for early bugs.

2....one of them had a couple of miles short of 270,000 miles before giving up the car AND BOUGHT ANOTHER FREESTYLE, a 2006 (see member called "ihutch") !

3....i think i lost count of the number of members right now with over 100,000 miles.....some well above 150,000 miles....not to mention people out there who are not members of the site.

in my case, i decided to always use the "Jack Watts Principle" on the CVT for peace of mind:

1....change of both the High Pressure Filter AND the Special CVT Fluid (the Part Number is XT7QCFT) immediately after the car was bought USED (about 60 - 65% o the old oil s expelled with this first change).

2....Drain and Fill of the CVT Fluid again within a few days (second time), to expel another 30% of the old fluid (bringing up the new fluid to about 90 - 95%).

3....another Drain and Fill of only the CVT Fluid after another 25,000 miles...(2 Drain/Fill here too).

4...change of both the High Pressure Filter AND the CVT Fluid at 50,000 - 60,000 miles after the very first change in step 1 above....PAN Filter change to be done every 100,000 miles.

5...repeat steps 2 and 3 again, etc, etc....
Last edited by Africa_FS_07 on Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:57 pm

one important thing i forgot to add earlier:

from my research on here on the number of reported failures - i would say i've gone through not less than 70% of CVT related Topics on this forum - i'm getting more and more convinced about the following:

1....i have come across less than 25 cases of CVT problems or total failure on here.......there are about 3,400 members in this forum........the CVT has even been blamed for totally unrelated things, such was the gross "scape-goating of the transmission!!!

2....the biggest chunk of these have occurred between 20,000 - 90,000 miles, thereabouts.

3....on the other hand, there's far fewer problem cases reported from about 90,000 miles and above on here.

4....one member has driven the poor thing for over 150,000 miles without a single service ever done on the CVT, and its still serving him faithfully with NO ISSUE even as i type, a 2005.....can that be beaten?

5....another member used the poor CVT to chase hurricanes for over 150,000 miles over different terrains before it had issues.

isn't there an important message coming from these?

i'm not sure yet, but to me the message means if this CVTs could cross a certain mileage (90,000 thereabouts), there's a reduced risk of failure.

then again, i haven't seen the remaining "30%" of the CVT related topics on here, so am i currently living in a fool's paradise in this? could it also be that some did not bother to report their issues too?

for now, i decided to be on the side of Optimism based on the "70%" i've seen on here....i could be wrong with my statistics, BUT THIS IS WHAT I CAME ACROSS FOR NOW!

i think the biggest fear/anger at the back of most people's mind was not the CVT breaking, but the high cost the early users incurred on replacing them back then.........but now, a few people said they replaced the faulty ones for USED units between $800 - $1,500.

argh, enough of my rant :shock:
Last edited by Africa_FS_07 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dicmoose

Post by dicmoose » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:45 pm

CVT updates sound good from the "shall I keep this car" viewpoint. I woder if Ford will make more of them available.

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:02 pm

sadly, the news is they made these CVTs available for the Freestyle's 3 years life only, between 2005 - 2007........

andysinnh

Post by andysinnh » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:17 am

I haven't been in the forum for a while, but thought I'd pop in and share a real-time experience...

The wife's '07 FS AWD has 57k miles, and I'm at the dealer (waiting area borrowing some internet) now getting the CVT fluid/filter change done. Arranged to have the fluid and high-pressure filter replaced. Service dude came in with 2 torx drivers that had bent under the pressure of trying to get the bolts out for the filter housing. We had to make a decision - keep trying and risk stripping the bolts or damaging things on the housing trying to get it out - or just do the fluid change and keep the factory-installed filter. Since the fluid had no signs of shavings or other wear - and the fact that the tranny has been flawless (knock on wood) I opted for the fluid-only approach. I know that there's a debate as to whether the filter is required or not - and I was opting for the "change the filter too" approach. But thanks to likely some heavily-torqued bolts at the factory, I'm leaving well enough alone and just doing the fluid.

Anyone else ever have an issue with these filter housing bolts being arc-welded in place? :-)

cheers - andy
A "Ford" and 3 "Honda" Family in NH

04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 5k miles
12 Honda Civic LX Coupe 5k miles (son's)
13 Acura MDX SH-AWD 1k miles

Previous - 07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 68k miles (traded)

KAH

Post by KAH » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:13 am

I believe the filter housing is an 8 mm bolt that takes
either a T - 25 or T- 27 tool. The 8 mm bolt is about 3 / 16
of an inch in diameter.

As such, I think the mechanic is misleading you.

The only large bolts encountered in changing the filter are
the 13 and 15 mm bolts that hold the transmission mount.

My opinions only but I think you are getting ripped.

Ken H.

andysinnh

Post by andysinnh » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:02 pm

KAH wrote:I believe the filter housing is an 8 mm bolt that takes
either a T - 25 or T- 27 tool. The 8 mm bolt is about 3 / 16
of an inch in diameter.

As such, I think the mechanic is misleading you.

The only large bolts encountered in changing the filter are
the 13 and 15 mm bolts that hold the transmission mount.

Ken H.
Ken - actually they showed me the housing and the bolts, and if you look at the picture/description in photo-based description at the start of this thread (with the description I cut out below), it's the T27 Torx bolts that wouldn't budge - with 2 different Snap-on brand T27 driver bits. I figured at that point I'm better off with an in-tact housing/bolts than something else happening. I got no BS - I went to verify...

andy
High Pressure Transmission Filter Housing Removal:
You can see 2 of the 3 torx bolts, T27. The third one is obscured, That's why you pull off the mount. Undo the bolt on top of the filter housing (the flat metal bar), 10mm I believe, and pull up. That will undo the 2 oil tubes from the filter housing. Undo the 3 filter housing torx bolts and pull out the housing. It'll be a little tight.
A "Ford" and 3 "Honda" Family in NH

04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 5k miles
12 Honda Civic LX Coupe 5k miles (son's)
13 Acura MDX SH-AWD 1k miles

Previous - 07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 68k miles (traded)

KAH

Post by KAH » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:31 pm

When I did mine, I did have one of the screws that
just refused to move. I had to get in there with a pair of
vise grip pliers to get it loose. The pliers had to grip the
screw head and just barely held. But they did get the
overly tightened screw out.

As such, I stand by my original comment.

Ken H.

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:12 pm

andysinnh wrote:

Ken - actually they showed me the housing and the bolts, and if you look at the picture/description in photo-based description at the start of this thread (with the description I cut out below), it's the T27 Torx bolts that wouldn't budge - with 2 different Snap-on brand T27 driver bits. I figured at that point I'm better off with an in-tact housing/bolts than something else happening. I got no BS - I went to verify...

andy
I actually ruined a 27T Torx bit on removal. It got the bolt out, but it twisted the bit. chalked it up to a cheap Torx bit.

The tech works on cars for a living, why one earth didn't he just use an impact bit? That would get it out, no problem. I don't think it's urgent that you change the filter yet, but in the next couple of years you'll probably want to do it. Make sure the tech has an impact T27 on hand and it'll be no problem.

WGRoper

Post by WGRoper » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:02 am

I revisited Ford's fluid level check and setting procedure and I've got to say it's a little bit confusing. Anyway, I added a little fluid to bring it up above the top hole on the stick.

I've uploaded a PDF (finally) that I made of the fluid/filter change procedure here as well as a PDF of Ford's check and setting procedure here - http://www.4shared.com/folder/9o5EDWPf/ ... style.html

Enjoy.

Greg
05 Freestyle SEL Norsea Blue/Gray

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:10 pm

WGRoper wrote:I revisited Ford's fluid level check and setting procedure and I've got to say it's a little bit confusing. Anyway, I added a little fluid to bring it up above the top hole on the stick.

thanks for sharing the DOCs.

IMHO you did the right thing above.

i went through the ALLData doc, and i agree with you it might confuse a wee bit......no wonder several of the early Techs who worked on these CVTs had them trashed in the end. i still believe some of these early jobs years ago are the ones that are getting trashed now.

i read a few posts on other forums about techs even putting normal A.T. Fluids in the CVTs, killing them within a few days, such was the confusion created by Ford.

thank God for the experienced members on this Site who have now put things in proper perspective for the CVT service.