If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Possible leak from Transmission to Engine

pistol64

Possible leak from Transmission to Engine

Post by pistol64 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:33 pm

Hello

I have an 07 freestyle with 63k kms on it and it is new to me in Jun 2009. I have changed the oil when the computer says to and while I was under the front end I noticed what looks like an oil leak coming down in between the trany and engine. Has any one heard of this problem yet or are there any recalls or ( I hope warranty will come into play here) my first thought was a main seal on the crank.

jaunty75

Re: Possible leak from Transmission to Engine

Post by jaunty75 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:01 am

I haven't heard of this problem, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be. My suggestion to anyone who thinks the warranty might apply is to get to their dealer with the problem as soon as possible. Even if they claim it's nothing or don't fix it right away and it turns out to be a problem that needed to be fixed, and they did the repair AFTER the warranty expired, because you first reported the problem BEFORE the warranty expired, you're covered. In short, you want it on record that you reported the problem to the dealer while the car was still under warranty. When the actual repair is done, if one is done, is immaterial.

Now, to get back to your problem, are you sure that the leak is from where you think it is and not from perhaps on top of the engine and just running down to where you see it underneath? Sometimes a mechanic will put a dye into the oil, run the car for a while to move the oil around and get more of it to leak, and then use a blacklight to see where the leak actually is coming from.

Also, how recently was the oil changed? I often see drips for a day or two under my car when the oil has been changed because, no matter how hard you try sometimes, and depending on where the oil filter is, you invariably get some oil onto brackets or on the oil pan or whatever under there when you remove the filter.

You need to establish that there really is a leak and then exactly where it's coming from before figuring out how to stop it.
Last edited by jaunty75 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:45 am

If you noticed the leak after you changed the oil, I'd also wonder if some just got spilled. That said, the filter and the drain plug really aren't close to the transmission, and are both down low, so leaking over there would be pretty unusual...

I'd also agree with getting it in for the dealer ASAP to take a look at it, in case it is a warranty issue.

Lastly, are you losing any oil? I'd almost wonder if it's not transmission fluid you're seeing and not oil? If you want to check the transmission fluid, the procedure for that is somewhere here if you search for it. That said, unless you're the serious DIY sort, if it's a transmission fluid leak, you'll want to get it to the dealer even sooner than ASAP...

pistol64

Post by pistol64 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:02 pm

Thanks for the replies.

The fluid is definately in between the trany and engine. The oil is never left behind on the driveway or garage floor, but as advised I will take it to a dealer for a check out.

I will report back any info that comes from this.

KAH

Post by KAH » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:15 am

QUESTION:

How would one go about determining if a leaking oil was either from
the engine or the transmission ?

Assuming that an oil of some source was very slowly dripping from
a hidden source somewhere and it was possible to catch a few drops.

How would one go about identifying it ?

Both of these two oils are very similar in viscosity.

Both of these oils when fresh are different colors but when used are brown.

Other than having the level decrease, I would like to know if there are any
other identifying characteristics. Thanks.

Ken H.

jaunty75

Post by jaunty75 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:40 am

How would one go about determining if a leaking oil was either from the engine or the transmission?
Like I said, a common way is to just put a dye in the oil, run the engine a bit, and then take a black light under the car and see if the dye shows up. If it does, it's an oil leak. If it doesn't, it's the transmission fluid. I'm sure this is what a mechanic would do. It's fast, simple, and definitive.

If you don't want to use a dye, you could thoroughly wipe down the area where the leak is and then watch it. The leak might be so slow that standing there and watching for it might not be practical (like trying to watch the minute hand on a clock move). But come back in an hour and look. Or take the car on, say, a 20 mile drive and then get back underneath and take a look.

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:55 am

KAH wrote:QUESTION:

How would one go about determining if a leaking oil was either from
the engine or the transmission ?
The two fluids have very, very different odors. I don't know what the additive pack consists of in the trans fluid, but whatever it is , it has a very strong odor--and it's much different than motor oil. You should be able to smell the difference.

WI05Freestyle

Post by WI05Freestyle » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:05 am

If it could be coolant, check the coolant bypass tube. Its a SOB to diagnose and mine was leaking all over the place. It looked like the transmission was leaking, but it wasn't.....The cost ws 275 approx dollars.....

Dealer said wasn't the first 500/FS he saw that was leaking....It might even pass a pressure test 3 times like mine did......!

Mine leaked when cold and stopped when it heated up.
03 Ford Explorer Limited V6
06 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD
05 Ford Mustang V6

pistol64

Post by pistol64 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:57 pm

I have not taken the car to a dealer yet but I plan on checking the fluid and possible leak a little more before I take it in, so I can hopefully be more informed when it comes to talking with the dealer. The best part is it does not seem like a common problem.

FordTaurus

Post by FordTaurus » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:52 pm

Have you check old forums discussions? It may be a comment problem, I am not sure. There were discussions on similar issue!

READ: http://www.myfordfreestyle.com/forums/v ... f=1&t=1700

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:50 am

FordTaurus wrote:Have you check old forums discussions? It may be a comment problem, I am not sure. There were discussions on similar issue!

READ: http://www.myfordfreestyle.com/forums/v ... f=1&t=1700
I think that's probably a different deal. A seeping pan gasket is pretty easy to spot, since it's down low. I'd have to agree with the other poster who mentioned a possible small coolant leak. There are bunch of small coolant hoses between and above the engine/transmission junction. I thought about this as well but didn't even want to suggest it, given the difficulty in diagnosing it.

WI05Freestyle

Post by WI05Freestyle » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:38 am

Our FS was leaking at the coolant bypass hose, which is near the water pump. It looked like it was either the Water pump or coming from the block itself......Its VERY hard to diagnose and took basically 3 repair shops to find it. It passed a pressure test(multiple!) with flying colors.

Add some dye if you can to the coolant. Check around the temperature sensor near the water pump then. Ford dealership had seen this before, and knew what to look for.....Its helpful to goto a dealership that doesn't say "just drive and don't worry about it!"
03 Ford Explorer Limited V6
06 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD
05 Ford Mustang V6