If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Do you think I should have my transmission serviced?

Imperial Death Star

Re: Do you think I should have my transmission serviced?

Post by Imperial Death Star » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:20 pm

yes ,but prepared with the right knowledge(especially from forums) you can take your car to a service mechanic and get the job done with the information given on how to do. I am sure the mechanics will appreciate it , cause they will know more for other FS customers.
2005 FreeStyle SEL AWD - Red Fire-110,000 miles
2001 BMW 530i (Titanium Silver) 129,000 miles
1998 Volvo V70R-(Vader Black)201,000 miles (retired)

NorseaBlue

Post by NorseaBlue » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:35 am

Indeed, Nissan is a big-time devotee of CVT technology. They are adamant about the fuel-savings delivered by a CVT over a conventional automatic transmission. They have developed CVT's that can take on the higher hp/torque engines that other car makers say must have "geared" tranny's. The Freestyle/500 CVT is more German.. following the Audi approach to CVT technology that uses a stainless steel belt. Ford has never been shy about using CVT's in their European lineup. It's too bad the CVT meets with such consumer resistance in America. We could save a lot of gas.
'05 SEL Norsea Blue/Shale Leather
Frt. Row Comfort/Aux Climate/50/50 3rd row

BrettS

Post by BrettS » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:51 am

Well, it looks like finding a decent dealer to do this for me might be a little more trouble than I first thought. As I said before, the dealer closest to me first denied that I even had to do the service. When I pushed he finally found it in the service guide and agreed that it needed to be done, but he couldn't quote me a price right away because he said they've never done this service before.

Initially I didn't hear back from this guy, so I called the dealer I bought the Freestyle from to see what they would say (I'd rather not go to that dealer, though, because it's 40 minutes from my house). I asked that service guy how much he would charge for the 60K transmission service on my Freestyle and he immediately said $120 plus tax. Based on the earlier posts here I said "$120? I believe this vehicle has a CVT" He said "Yes it does, but the price is still $120". I'm half inclined to take it there and pay them the $120 and see what they do and let them fix it if (when) they screw it up, but I don't know if I really want to dedicate that much time to it, but it might be a good way to get a discount on the service;)

But just a few minutes ago the first dealer finally called me back (and apologized and explained that he couldn't get the price sooner because his tranny guy was out). The price is $350, which seems to be about in line with what you guys suggest it should be. This guy said that he would only give the job to his tranny guy (I asked if I could bring it on a Saturday, but the tranny guy doesn't work on Saturdays). Even thought it sounds like they've never done anything like this before he's been very nice and willing to work with me, so it sounds like they would be able to take the time to do it right. So I might be more inclined to go with them anyway. And like I said, this dealer is only 5 minutes from my house, so this is where I would prefer to bring the freestyle for other work.

I dunno... maybe I'll try to call a third dealer and see if I can get a better response.

Thanks again for your suggestions,
Brett

NorseaBlue

Post by NorseaBlue » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:38 am

"Well, it looks like finding a decent dealer to do this for me might be a little more trouble than I first thought."

How-so Brett? You've got two dealers ready and willing to do the work for as little as $120.00. I'd be very happy to have this service done for that price.. even if that only includes a fluid change.

BrettS

Post by BrettS » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:12 pm

NorseaBlue wrote:"Well, it looks like finding a decent dealer to do this for me might be a little more trouble than I first thought."

How-so Brett? You've got two dealers ready and willing to do the work for as little as $120.00. I'd be very happy to have this service done for that price.. even if that only includes a fluid change.
This is true, but I'd prefer to get someone who actually knows what they're doing. The $120 dealer is clearly quoting me a price for a non CVT flush... and I see that going one of two ways. They'll either be stupid enough to flush it like a non CVT transmission and use the wrong fluid, doing who knows what to the tranny or they'll get half way through and call me and say "Gee... looks like we gave you the wrong price. It'll be $400 to pick up your car"... or even worse, they'll do both of the above.

Or I can go with the other dealer who at least realizes it's a CVT, but by their own admission, this will be their first CVT flush. While they did make me feel reasonably comfortable that they'll take the time and do it right, it would still make me feel a bit happier to go with someone who has done it before.

WI05Freestyle

Post by WI05Freestyle » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:26 pm

My father's 500 just had some transmission problems occur right after the Ford dealership did the fluid change at 18x,000......Linked together? Who knows....He needs a new valve body....Word to the wise, don't let anybody near that transmission if they do not know what they are doing. Ford provided no support for the transmission and their answer is replace the valve body or the whole thing from what multiple Ford dealerships have proven by their actions.
I had my FS's fluid flushed/filter changed at 83k when we bought it, as we did not know the condition of the fluid. The service manager said to the transmission guy/tech "Does that car go on the flushing machine?" I yelled NO NO NO! No flush! I spoke to the mechanic and he stated he had done these before.......That is why you need a good person :) Just becareful!!!!
03 Ford Explorer Limited V6
06 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD
05 Ford Mustang V6

NorseaBlue

Post by NorseaBlue » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:36 pm

"My father's 500 just had some transmission problems occur right after the Ford dealership did the fluid change at 18x,000"

Does your Father's 500 even have a CVT? If memory serves.. seems like well over half of them had the Aisin 6-speed instead. Regardless, nobody should be surprised if they start having tranny issues with over 180,000 miles on the clock. That's a lot of mileage.

WI05Freestyle

Post by WI05Freestyle » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:40 pm

CVT AWD. It has been pretty darn good reliability wise....Heated seat died, O2 sensor, computer reprogram and now this. Oh, I think he has had new wheel bearings about every 60k-80k. Only 2nd set of brakes - this set have like 120k if not more on them.
03 Ford Explorer Limited V6
06 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD
05 Ford Mustang V6

jas88

Post by jas88 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:58 am

How many threads just like this are there on here? I have a very close friend (like I've known him almost 30 years) who works at one of the Ford dealers here in Austin, in fact I am taking my Escape to him on Monday for a tranny flush, but he also gave me the 100K miles routine for the CVT, so nobody is working on the FS CVT but *me*. So far I have replaced just the fluid twice (at 60K and 80K) but I think I am gonna take on the external filter at 100K. If I screw it up, so be it, but at least I'll know what's what. All these stories from dealers who don't know when the service is or how much it costs mean that they don't get a crack at mine.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

austingecko

Post by austingecko » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:08 am

jas88 wrote:How many threads just like this are there on here? I have a very close friend (like I've known him almost 30 years) who works at one of the Ford dealers here in Austin, in fact I am taking my Escape to him on Monday for a tranny flush, but he also gave me the 100K miles routine for the CVT, so nobody is working on the FS CVT but *me*. So far I have replaced just the fluid twice (at 60K and 80K) but I think I am gonna take on the external filter at 100K. If I screw it up, so be it, but at least I'll know what's what. All these stories from dealers who don't know when the service is or how much it costs mean that they don't get a crack at mine.
Jas88, I'm in Austin too. Can you tell me what dealer your above experience was with so I can be on the lookout when my 2005 AWD FS needs the CVT fluids changed. Thanks!

dmckmc

Post by dmckmc » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:59 pm

I see similar threads on several forums. I recently changed the CVT fluid and the high pressure filter and posted all the details with many pictures on Ford-Forums.com. http://www.ford-forums.com/ford-freesty ... -pics.html

Hopefully it can answer many questions about this procedure.

My car is a 2005 AWD and had 107K miles at the time of the change. It had not been changed prior as far as I know. I was not having any problems, just want to keep the car for many more years.

BrettS

Post by BrettS » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:04 pm

dmckmc wrote:Hopefully it can answer many questions about this procedure.
Thanks for posting this. I just took a look at it and it looks like something that even I can do. Do you mind if I asked how much you paid for the fluid and the filter kit?

Thanks,
Brett

dmckmc

Post by dmckmc » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:57 pm

The fluid was around $11 per quart from the dealer, the kit was $45 and I actually bought it on amazon.