"AWD Malfunction" in message center

Fraggle

"AWD Malfunction" in message center

Post by Fraggle » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:28 pm

Hi all,

So I've just got back from a cool roadtrip, taking my parents (who flew in from England - on their first flight ever in their lives!!), on the roads from Southern California, over to the Grand Canyon, across to Las Vegas, and back to SoCal.

As usual, my Freestyle was awesome... except for 30 seconds in below freezing conditions at the Grand Canyon (-5 Celsius... sorry: don't know what that equates to in F as I'm used to metric stuff).

Anyway... I start the car at the Canyon, and after 2 seconds, the transmission/powertrain warning light came on, and the message center said "AWD Malfunction". I had only backed out of the parking space.

I pulled back in, switched off the car, and restarted it, and the warning had gone.... and never came back on the whole trip back from the Canyon to SoCal.

Should I not worry about this until it rears it's ugly head again? Or is it the start of something bad? With it throw a fault code that is stored for retrieval by the dealer, or will it have only remained in memory for a short time?

I'm a little bummed that the only time the car malfunctioned was in freezing and icy conditions... the one time when maybe the AWD may have been useful :lol:.
Merlot Freestyle AWD Limited, with everything but Navigation (unless you count a TomTom). I even have integrated Bluetooth and iPod through the factory radio.

BlueStyleLTD

Re: "AWD Malfunction" in message center

Post by BlueStyleLTD » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:28 pm

Fraggle wrote:As usual, my Freestyle was awesome... except for 30 seconds in below freezing conditions at the Grand Canyon (-5 Celsius... sorry: don't know what that equates to in F as I'm used to metric stuff).
-5* Celsius is 23* Fahrenheit. Not extremely cold; but obviously below freezing. You didn't say how long the car sat in the below freezing conditions .... overnight ? a couple days? .... did the message come up on the first start attempt?

Since the message cleared on the restart attempt, I don't think I would worry about it unless it occurs again.

Your Freestyle probably isn't used to cold starts in SoCal and was just letting you know. :wink:
BlueStyleLTD
2006 FWD Limited with the works
Dark Blue Pearl with Black Interior
Adopted 14 January 2006

pointer

Post by pointer » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:20 pm

Just thinking out loud here. Our trip to yellowstone in September yielded some very cold mornings around freezing with plenty of morning dew/frost. My Traction Control light would on occassion turn on. After 15 minute warm up or a stop and restart the lite would go off. Reading this post and others about TC and ABS lites I wonder if it is possible that morning moisture (dew) could be causing false alarms due to accumilation on the ABS sensors. My traction control works falasily and no lite has reappeared since our trip out west (higher elevation, which could mean something.

IRanIngineer

AWD on on dry pavement

Post by IRanIngineer » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:15 pm

Temperature in the 50s, dry pavement, been driving around town for a couple of hours.
I pulled into the left turn lane behind several cars and just as I stopped I heard a 'clunk'. The AWD light on the instrument cluster came on. I went on through the intersection and pulled off to the side and looked around the car for damage, a low tire or ??. The AWD light was still on. I turned the engine off and restarted with no more problem.
I will keep a watch and see if it happens again.

Fraggle

Post by Fraggle » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:32 pm

BlueStyleLTD wrote:
Fraggle wrote:As usual, my Freestyle was awesome... except for 30 seconds in below freezing conditions at the Grand Canyon (-5 Celsius... sorry: don't know what that equates to in F as I'm used to metric stuff).
-5* Celsius is 23* Fahrenheit. Not extremely cold; but obviously below freezing. You didn't say how long the car sat in the below freezing conditions .... overnight ? a couple days? .... did the message come up on the first start attempt?
It had been parked for about two hours. We'd already driven into the park (about 5 miles) from the hotel earlier (and from the car being parked overnight in the freezing cold), without any incident. It was only after we'd parked for a couple of hours at the canyon rim that the malfunction came on.
BlueStyleLTD wrote:Since the message cleared on the restart attempt, I don't think I would worry about it unless it occurs again.
Yeah, I'm leaning towards that... especially since I took the car in for it's 15,000 mile service yesterday, and they found no fault codes.
BlueStyleLTD wrote:Your Freestyle probably isn't used to cold starts in SoCal and was just letting you know. :wink:
:lol: that is what my Dad said 8)
Merlot Freestyle AWD Limited, with everything but Navigation (unless you count a TomTom). I even have integrated Bluetooth and iPod through the factory radio.

lewwetzel@aol.com

awd malfunction

Post by lewwetzel@aol.com » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:17 pm

Just bought my 05 freestyle and the awd malfunction message keeps comming on and when it does the system doesnt work. sometimes when you start up the vehicle it wont malfunction usually just when it sits for a while in the cold. Any way the dealership cant seem to track it down yet two days so far. Oh and how lovely I got stuck in my sisters driveway on Ice because of the malfunction.

csv001

AWD Malfunction problem

Post by csv001 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:30 pm

Oh, have we got a fun one here. I am having the same problem. TSB 080411 covers it but didn't fix it for me. The dealer should self test the DEM (differential Electronic Module) which will bring up a P1889 code. This will then tell them they need to replace the oil pump pressure sensor which won't work. Then they will tell you they need to replace the whole rear AWD system for a cost of $4300. This is what the dealer told me in Florida. Being in FL, they don't see AWD systems much except for a few snow birds. They are only following what Ford is telling them.

I called my dealer in the Chicago are and said they have 2 500's in for the exact same problem and they went through what Ford said and it didn't work. They talked further with Ford and they figured out that it is relate to... you guessed it.... the CVT. It requires a CVT replacement.

That dealer is acquiring used CVT's to save their customers money on the repair. And Ford won't even recognize this as a problem.

Anyone having this problem, please report it on the NHTSA website. The amount of complaints about rear brakes caused Ford to come out with a customer satisfaction action. Maybe if enough people complain to Ford, they might do the right thing. Also, call Ford customer service and get a problem ticket open with them. They won't do anything, but hopefully, they will track all the problems and complaints and finally help us out because their CVT and AWD systems are trouble prone and defective.

I am currently investigating turning my AWD Freestyle into a 2 wheel drive Freestyle and the cost involved.

Good luck to all having this problem. Now, I have to hope this hunk of junk gets me 1400 miles home with this warning on because the guys in FL don't know what the service department in Chicago knows.

csv001

The car got me home

Post by csv001 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:37 am

The car got me home and the problem was still intermittent enough that I was able to trade in the vehicle for a car other than a Ford. I was a loyal customer for 18 years; buying 6 ford vehicles as my father-in-law is a Ford retiree, but I am no longer a Ford customer and never will be based on my recent experience.

From listening to Graydon Reitz this morning on CNBC, I get the impression that Ford is focusing on improved quality on new vehicles, while ignoring existing customer problems. CNBC noted that domestics do well in the first 2-4 years of ownership, they fall apart after that compared to their japanese counterparts. Mr Reitz said that Ford vehicles should do comparably to their Japanese counterparts for 10 years or 200,000 miles. I commend them on improving their quality, but if a certain percentage of their existing customers won't come back to buy another one, they won't see the increase in sales they expect.

It is much easier to keep an existing customer than to gain a new one. I would have thought Ford would have learned that by now. I could be wrong, but I suspect that while Ford quality continues to improve, their sales will continue to decrease.

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:10 pm

Found this forum when I was searching for info on this error....

I've had my 2005 SEL AWD for just over 3 months - this problem has existed since I got it, however, initially it would only manifest itself if I was to start the car and sit there idling. In the last few days it has now started to occur whilst driving - which is now concerning me, before it was only under limited circumstances and I wasn't too bothered, but now it's happening all the time, I'm worried about it...

I've read the various theories on the problem, ranging from CVT issues to sensors etc... Ironically, we had some severe snow week before xmas and the AWD worked great with no errors, now the snow has gone, it's failing!

Not sure what to do now - the car drives fine other than the error. Guess I need to take it to a Ford dealer and bite the bullet, I only have a 1 yr power train warranty, no doubt this isn't covered....

Half contemplating trying to trade it in and hope the error doesn't come up during the process...

jaunty75

Post by jaunty75 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:09 pm

I've had my 2005 SEL AWD for just over 3 months - this problem has existed since I got it......Half contemplating trying to trade it in and hope the error doesn't come up during the process...
Hmmm. Sounds like this is just what the guy who owned it before YOU did!

I would take it to the dealer. Under warranty or not, it's not something you want to take chances on. You have AWD for just the sorts of driving conditions you're now encountering. No point in having it be questionable or not working at all when you need it most.

csv001

Post by csv001 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:03 pm

The previous poster said that is what the previous guy did and he is probably right. I know that is what I did (I had a limited, not a SEL). There was no way I could get stuck with this vehicle. They had the opportunity to test drive it, but evidently, the error didn't occur while they were driving.

Call it what you will, but it is what I did. I couldn't take it to a Ford dealer to trade because they would look up its history and wouldn't give me a decent trade, not that I was seriously thinking about buying another Ford after the trouble they gave me with this problem.

The though of this issue still makes my blood boil. OK, vent off. Don't let them get away with saying this isn't covered. It is part of the drivetrain. The cost of the fix if the first one doesn't work (which is about $500) is over $5000. I couldn't get anyone to tell me exactly what the problem was even though it was a known problem. The dealer I bought it from was angry about the problem. They had 2 other vehicles that had the problem and Ford was unable to give any answers or financial assistance.

When I told my sales person that I was buying another make, he was disapointed but honestly said he understood and probably would do the same thing if he were in my shoes.

Wake up Ford!! Fix this for free for those people that still have these vehicles!

Good luck.

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:31 pm

Thanks for the replies - hopefully it is just something like a sensor. The weird thing is, when I do a system test with the ignition off, the AWD comes up fine, if I start it up, then 2 mins later the error comes up....

I live 20 mins from Ford HQ - if they screw me over on this, I'll leave it on their car park :mrgreen:

IRanIngineer

Re: AWD Malfunction problem

Post by IRanIngineer » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:53 pm

Anyone having this problem, please report it on the NHTSA website. The amount of complaints about rear brakes caused Ford to come out with a customer satisfaction action. Maybe if enough people complain to Ford, they might do the right thing. Also, call Ford customer service and get a problem ticket open with them. They won't do anything, but hopefully, they will track all the problems and complaints and finally help us out because their CVT and AWD systems are trouble prone and defective.
I had another problem that NHTSA had recorded over 100 complaints about. I registered my complaint with no results. I wrote up a summary of facts and took it to my United States Representative from my district. I explained the problem to a nice young lady, one of her aids. She took it to the Representative. I received a call from NHTSA in about 10 days. We worked together for over 2 years and got a recall and extended warranty. It is just they have so many alligators in the pond they need to know which one to look out. Take it to your Representative or Senator, they are there to serve you.
2007 AWD Limited. Needed AWD that would seat six adults comfortably.

Gavin

Post by Gavin » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:12 pm

I would, except I'm in Canada (Windsor), so unlikely to get much support this side of the border....

I went with Ford against my better judgement as I wanted to support the local economy and I've ended up with a problem :cry: Next time I'll go Japanese and take the risk of local opinion....

Wheelman

Post by Wheelman » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:42 am

Check all your fuses.